Sunday, April 23, 2006

Sweet Crepes, Part II


So, after Sunday I still had quite a bit of sweet crepe batter left to use. Jen and I ended up with sweet crepes for dessert on Monday and Tuesday night. I didn't want to make exactly the same thing both nights, so I tried a couple of different options.

Monday night I substituted stawberries for banana, but otherwise left everything the same. The stawberries were thinly sliced, and I ate the ends and used mostly the "meat" in the crepes. As expected, this classic turned out quite well. Once again, the hardest part was spreading the Loacker (or Nutella) on the crepe while it was still cooking.

Tuesday night we were in the mood for something a little lighter, so I made sweet crepes with lemon curd. A while back I tried experimenting with lemon and sugar crepes and found that lemon and lemon curd was the best option. We didn't have any lemon, so I just used the lemon curd on the crepes.

I did experiment a little with when I put the lemon curd on the crepes. First I tried cooking the crepe and spreading the curd on it as it cooled on a plate. Then I tried spreading the curd on the crepe while the second side was cooking and then folding and serving. Lastly, I tried cooking it the last way and then folding the crepe and cooking it a little more on both sides. I found the last approach to be best -- the crepe was warmest and crispest, and the lemon curd caramelized a little bit.

The crepes were good, but a little too sweet. They would have been better if we had a little lemon juice to drizzle over the lemon curd.

On Saturday Jimmy found lime curd at Oakville Grocer. I'll have to try that the next time I make sweet crepes.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?