Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Waffles, lots of Waffles

Sunday morning I made waffles for breakfast. Not that exciting, I know, but I made them from scratch, and I made piles of them.

The Good Eats! episode on waffles pointed out that if you have extra waffles you can freeze them and then just pop them in the toaster some other day and you have a nice, quick breakfast. I tried this not long ago and found that frozen homemade waffles are way better than the frozen Eggos you pick up at the grocery store. Since we're normally in a rush to get out of the apartment in the morning, I decided to make a whole pile of waffles and freeze them.

Waffles take a little while, but they're pretty easy. In a large mixing bowl I whisked together all this dry stuff:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups whole-wheat flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 teaspoons baking powder

2 teaspoons salt

6 tablespoons sugar
Then I mixed together all this wet stuff:
6 whole eggs, beaten
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 quart buttermilk, room temperature
Once those things were all well combined (it's okay if the wet stuff gets a little clumpy) I poured the wet stuff into the dry stuff and mixed until just combined then I walked away. Alton Brown made it clear that you shouldn't over mix waffle batter. Just wait until it's combined completely but still clumpy and walk away for five minutes. Once five minutes has passed you can start making waffles.

I set my waffle iron all the way to high and made piles and piles of waffles. I let the waffles Jen and I weren't eating on Sunday sit for about an hour to cool completely, then I bagged them and put them all in the freezer.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?